Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky

Energy and Environment Cabinet

Division of Water

Division of Water
Permits and Approvals

The Division of Water (DOW) issues permits and approvals for a variety of water-related activities.

Below is a list of permits and approvals that DOW issues.  Click on the "Permit/Approval Type" column to view more information about that specific permit/approval program. Click on the "Contact" column to e-mail the contact person for more information about the permit/approval program.

Permit/Approval Type
Applicable statutes, regulations and contact information.
Glen Alexander
Construction permits for new or upgraded water treatment plants, public and semipublic water treatment systems and distribution of water from a treatment plant.
Jory Becker
Information on obtaining a permit to construct along a stream, applicable statutes and regulations, publications and contact information.
Ron Dutta
Kentucky Division of Water (DOW) Laboratory Certification Program (LCP) includes both drinking water and wastewater laboratory certification.  LCP currently has ten staff members which audit laboratories and provide technical assistance.  Drinking water laboratory certification is based on the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).  Wastewater laboratory certification is based on the Federal Clean Water Act (CWA).
Patrick Garrity
State regulation 401 KAR 5:005 requires that a permit be issued by the Division of Water prior to start of construction on wastewater collection systems.
Sewer line extensions are reviewed by the Division of Water.
Sewer systems funded by State Revolving Fund (SRF) and EPA are reviewed by the Division of Water.
Jory Becker
All discharges to waters of the Commonwealth require a Kentucky Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (KPDES) permit.  View a list of specific permit applications or a list of all KPDES discharge permit applications.
Sara Anderson
Anyone proposing to conduct activities that result in physical disturbances to wetlands or streams may need a Water Quality Certification (WQC) to ensure Kentucky water quality standards will not be violated.  This site contains information about obtaining a WQC and other program requirements.
Elizabeth Harrod
The water withdrawal program governs all withdrawals of water greater than 10,000 gallons per day from any surface, spring or groundwater source, with certain exceptions.
Rita Hockensmith
The Whole Effluent Toxicity (WET) program is managed by the Surface Water Permits Branch of Kentucky Division of Water. Staff provide technical review of all self-monitoring reports conducted by the regulated community for compliance, as well as Toxicity Reduction Evaluations.
John Eisiminger
Several types of permits are required for activities that may impact a designated Wild River corridor, including changes of land use, utility right of way construction, timber harvesting and others.
Andrea Keatley