The technical services staff of the Groundwater Section deal with a variety of groundwater contamination issues throughout the state, such as leaking underground storage tanks, and can either assist you with these issues or direct you to the appropriate personnel responsible for site-specific investigations.
Links to programs that regulate various aspects of groundwater contamination are listed below:
- The Underground Storage Tank Branch, Division of Waste Management (DWM), regulates belowground tanks and cleanup related to leaks from underground tanks.
- The Superfund Branch, DWM, regulates older, pre-law sites on both private and federal lands as well as cleanup from leaks and spills from aboveground petroleum storage tanks and petroleum pipelines.
- The Kentucky Voluntary Cleanup Program, DWM, assists property owners with the voluntary remediation of their on-site contamination.
- The Solid Waste Branch, DWM, regulates current landfills, land application sites and closure of pre-law dumps.
- The Hazardous Waste Branch, DWM, regulates facilities that handle or generate hazardous waste.
- The Division of Compliance Assistance assists businesses and individuals in navigating environmental regulatory processes and works closely with landowners and municipalities to return brownfield areas to productive uses.
- The Division of Mine Reclamation and Enforcement regulates groundwater issues related to surface and underground mining.
- The Division of Oil and Gas regulates oil and gas well construction to help protect groundwater and the environment.
- The Division of Environmental Services with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture regulates pesticide, herbicide and fungicide application and usage in Kentucky.
- The Kentucky Geological Survey maintains online searchable well and spring information databases as well as a searchable geologic and hydrologic publications database.
For further information on groundwater contamination and how to prevent it, refer to these documents provided for your convenience:
Back to Groundwater Technical Assistance Main Page