The Green Project Reserve (GPR) is a provision of the State Revolving Fund (SRF) that designates funds for projects that are considered “green.” This provision was included in the 2009 ARRA, 2010, and 2011 SRF Appropriation Bills but is not a requirement of the 2013 appropriation, which funds the 2014 funding cycle.
However, sustainable and green projects remain important to Kentucky’s SRF program and are eligible to receive incentive points under the 2014 Priority System Ranking Criteria. Some examples of “green” projects include, but are not limited to:
- Installation of variable frequency drives
- Green roofs
- Rainwater harvesting
- Installing or retrofitting water efficient devices such as plumbing fixtures and appliances
- Implementation of incentive programs to conserve water
- Replacing existing broken or malfunctioning water meters
- Retrofitting or adding Automatic meter reading (AMR) capabilities or leak equipment to existing meters
- Conducting water utility audits
- Projects that eliminate pumps or pump stations
- Construction of US Building Council LEED certified buildings
- Application of innovative treatment technologies
- Renewable energy projects such as, wind, solar, geothermal, and micro-hydroelectric projects that provide power to a utility
- Distribution pipe replacement or rehabilitation to reduce water loss
- Storage tank replacement to reduce water loss
- Recycling and water reuse projects
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has been a leader in the nation at promoting and facilitating energy efficiency at water and wastewater utilities through “green” projects. The Massachusetts Energy Management Pilot Program for Drinking Water and Wastewater and Achieving Zero-Net Energy at Drinking Water and Wastewater Facilities case studies provide examples of utilities that have implemented energy saving principles to realize both cost savings and increased energy efficiency.
Contact the Kentucky Division of Water to find out if your project qualifies as a “green” project.
Back to Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Main Page