Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky

Energy and Environment Cabinet

Division of Water

Division of Water
Information for Consumers

LEAD information

Avoiding Lead Contamination in Water

Where can I get information about my tap water?

Use the public access drinking water database to find information about public water systems in Kentucky (does not include bottled water or semipublic water systems, which must be contacted directly).

As a customer receiving water from a public water system, where can you obtain information or ask questions about tap water? First of all, call your local water system. You should also read the Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) prepared each July by your public water provider. The CCR provides a snapshot or report card of your tap water and lists ways you can become involved in helping protect drinking water. Ask the local water system for a copy of the CCR. If you don't know the name of your local public water system, you can find it through the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Safewater Web Site for local drinking water information.


The 1996 Amendments of the Safe Drinking Water Act established numerous "right-to-know" provisions to give customers of public water systems greater access to information and opportunities to get involved in drinking water issues. The right-to-know provisions are based on the premise that accountability to the public is vital to address and prevent threats to drinking water. This lists just a few ways you can get involved.


Emergency preparedness is a program maintained through the Department of Homeland Security and Kentucky Emergency Management. Read about how families can prepare for an emergency in three basic steps. You should learn about emergency plans that have been established by the state and local government. You may reach the Kentucky Emergency Management by phone 24 hours a day by dialing 800-255-2587.


Homeowners who use private wells or cisterns as their source of drinking water should have the water tested annually. Water quality in private wells is not regulated by the EPA or the state.  Homeowners who use private wells or cisterns need to contact their local health department to have the water tested for bacteria and other contaminants, such as nitrates. 

EPA does not regulate private wells for drinking water, but it does offer suggestions on its Web site.


The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) was established by the 1996 Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) Amendments and authorizes the state to use federal money to provide loan assistance to eligible public water systems to ensure safe drinking water as a public health concern under SDWA requirements. Public participation in the program is encouraged. The public may participate in reviewing and commenting on the DWSRF program, the Intended Use Plan and Capacity Development. Public review includes:

  1. The short- and long-term goals of the DWSRF program.
  2. The priority system used for ranking individual projects (refer to the Intended Use Plan (IUP).
  3. The priority lists of projects.
  4. The financial status of the DWSRF program.
  5. A description of the amounts and intended uses of funds that the state will use for set-aside activities.
  6. The strategy, effectiveness and elements of capacity development.